What: Tree climbing program as an academic enrichment offering directly after school hours – usually held on school property.
Who: Our staff of expert tree climbing and recreation instructors combine extensive knowledge and warm personalities to offer a variety of safe, fun and educational activities. **see below for details
Where: At your school, in the location of your choice, or at a nearby park. We would be happy to inspect the trees and let you know if a location will work.
When: Multi-week program (usually about an hour each session), or single-day outings or field trips (usually last a couple of hours). Available all year.
Cost: Typically $50 per participant for a 4 week program, $65 per participant for a 5 week program, and $75 per participant for a 6 week program. Cost for single day outings varies by length of program and types of activities included…we’ll fit into your budget.
**Details about the climbing program
- Activities include ascending into the tree’s canopy, limb walking, zip-lining, and various other climbing elements. We generally have two instructors – one instructor belays one child at a time on the climbing element while the other instructor plays games with the rest of the group. The program is rounded out with tree identification and biology, nature exploration, and creative games.
- Safety is our #1 priority. The kids are harnessed in and belayed by an instructor the entire time they are climbing. We use tree climbing equipment that is rated for at least 5,000 lbs., and our OSHA/ANSI approved climbing systems all have redundant controls.
- Our climbing program is designed and run by Riverside’s camp director Scott Ross (ISA certified Climber Specialist). We also have an ISA certified Arborist on staff.
- We typically arrange classes by grade (for example – k-2 in one group, 3-5 in another). Our minimum class size is 8, maximum is 12. We can do multiple groups each week – if 24 kids sign up for the fall session, we can split them into a group of 12 climbing on Wednesdays and a group of 12 climbing on Thursdays.
- Any sessions that need to be canceled due to weather will be rescheduled for a predetermined make-up week. It is our preference to reschedule, but we can play games indoors if that’s not an option.
- The elements we run depend on the trees available. The program focuses on confidence-building, trust, nature conservation and FUN. We operate on a ‘challenge by choice’ principal in regard to climbing.
- Public and private school references available upon request.
- We’ll need an on-site coordinator/contact to help communicate the offering, accept applications and payments, and help with general logistics throughout the program…this is probably no different from other after-school offerings, just wanted to clarify.
- Parent volunteers to help with the sign in/out process throughout the sessions are certainly welcome.